Just before leaving for Korea, I spent 4 months as a vegetarian. At the time, I was living in Washington DC. Luckily for me, DC is a fantastic place to be a vegetarian, with options at almost every restaurant, and many restaurants that specialize in vegetarian food. Here are my favorites.
Busboys and Poets
- Details: There are two locations in the city: 14th and V Street NW, and 5th and K Street NW. There are also locations in Hyattsville, MD and Shirlington, VA. The 14th & V location is open daily 9 AM to midnight, and open until 2 AM on Friday and Saturday. A meal is about $10-15.
- Details: Rasika now has two locations, at 633 D St. NW and at 1190 New Hampshire Ave NW. The Penn Quarter (D St) location is open for lunch Monday through Friday 11:30-2:30, and open for dinner 5:30 to 10:30 Monday through Thursday, and until 11pm on Friday and Saturday. It’s closed Sunday. Dinner will be around $15-25.
I’m a big fan of falafel sandwiches, and Amsterdam Falafelshop delivers. Choose your size (small is 3 balls and large is 5) and your pita type – white or wheat. Then load that baby up with tons of awesome toppings! The fries are also very good here.
- Details: Amsterdam Falafelshop is right in Adams Morgan, at 2425 18th St NW. It’s open daily from 11 AM to at least midnight (later on the weekends – closes at 4 AM Friday and Saturday). A falafel sandwich will run you $5-7.
- Details: Sticky Fingers is just north of the Columbia Heights Metro station at 1370 Park Rd NW. It’s open daily from about 9am to 8pm (10pm on Friday and Saturday). Lunch or dinner will be about $7-10.
- Details: Founding Farmers is at 1924 Pennsylvania Ave NW. It’s open for breakfast Monday through Friday 7-11am, lunch and dinner Monday through Friday 11am to 10pm and Saturday and Sunday 2-10pm. A meal is $12-20. But you should definitey be adding an appetizer of corn bread for $5.
- Details: Thai X-ing is hidden near the Shaw metro station at 515 Florida Ave NW. It’s open 5:30-10pm Tuesday through Sunday. The vegetarian tasting menu is $30 a person.
Everlasting Life Cafe
- Details: Everlasting Life is at 2928 Georgia Ave NW right near the north part of Howard University. It’s open Monday through Saturday 11am-9pm and Sunday noon to 7. You can get a meal for under $10.