I read a few more books than last year. I didn’t participate in any challenges. I gravitated a lot toward fantasy and YA.
Here they are once again – my best and worst books of the year!
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Really excellent dystopian sci-fi.
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
Really cool fantasy about multiple Londons! Looking forward to the rest of the series.
- Saga by Brian K. Vaughan
It’s been a while since I’ve found a graphic novel I’ve loved, but Saga has been absolutely incredible. The artwork is completely amazing, and I want to buy all the Saga merchandise (which mostly doesn’t exist).
- Uprooted by Naomi Novik
While this book had a weak middle section, I still absolutely loved it!
- Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes
Gorgeous little book about being more positive and the power of saying yes (plus, I love Shonda Rhimes and we have the same birthday).
- Happiness for Beginners by Katherine Center
This book was moving and really made me think about erring towards positivity. It was an important step in my road to improving myself.
I only gave one book one star this year, but I’ll add a couple two stars to this list:
- The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by A.N. Roquelaure – The only book that I really strongly hated this year. Erotica about a non-consenting sex slave. NOT COOL!
- Pawn by Aimee Carter – Just not very good.
- Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan – I liked the first in this series a lot so this was a real disappointment.
- Finders Keepers by Stephen King – Mr. Mercedes was decent, but this, yikes.
What did you read this year?