Whenever I’m not traveling (and even sometimes when I am), I seem to gravitate towards TV shows. I have found lately that I am less inclined to watch movies and much more inclined to watch TV either on Netflix or through the website of the appropriate network. Here are the ones I’m watching (some of them are not currently active, but I will get around to it).
- My Rating: Currently, 9 out of 10 black panties on a bulletin board.
- Why I Love It: It’s super dramatic, almost basically a soap opera. But even though the cases are ridiculous (bomb in a guy, tree through a guy, etc), the relationships and characters feel real.
- Favorite Characters: Cristina Yang, Addison Montgomery-Sheperd, Meredith Grey
- Last Episode I Watched: Season 3 Episode 2 (I Am a Tree). Actively bingeing this one really hard.
- Status of Show: Season 12 resumes on February 11.
Rick and Morty
- My Rating: 7 out of 10 ill-advised adventures
- Why I Love It: Wacky and fun!
- Favorite Characters: …..maybe Jerry because he’s hilariously dumb?
- Last Episode I Watched: Season 1, Episode 9 (Something Ricked This Way Comes). I watched Season 2 first accidentally. Most of it’s available on the Adult Swim website.
- Status of Show: Between seasons (renewed for a third season but not scheduled).
Marvel’s Jessica Jones
- My Rating: 6 out of 10 brooding leather jackets
- Why I Love It: A dark and in-depth character study – very atypical of Marvel. Also I just love Krysten Ritter.
- Favorite Characters: Trish Walker, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones
- Last Episode I Watched: Season 1, Episode 4 (AKA 99 Friends) – this show is intense so I’m taking my time.
- Status of Show: First season out on Netflix.
Jane the Virgin
- My Rating: 8 out of 10 narrator monologues
- Why I Love It: It’s a telenovela basically. But it’s hilarious and heartfelt and refreshingly self-aware. Great tv.
- Favorite Characters: Jane Villanueva, Petra Solano (#TeamPetra), Rogelio de la Vega, Michael Cordero Jr.
- Last Episode I Watched: Season 2, Episode 8 (Chapter Thirty) – all caught up currently.
- Status of Show: Season 2 resumes January 25.
- My Rating: 8.5 out of 10 zombie rats.
- Why I Love It: Cute and quirky characters and dynamics, the comic book scene cuts, and general Rob-Thomas-feel (I LOVED Veronica Mars).
- Favorite Characters: Liv Moore, Ravi Chakrabati, Clive Babineaux
- Last Episode I Watched: Season 2, Episode 9 (Method Head) – I’m one episode behind.
- Status of Show: Season 2 currently underway.
- My Rating: Last season, 6 out of 10 white hats, overall 7.5 out of 10 giant glasses of red wine
- Why I Love It: Because Olivia Pope is fierce as hell! I’m over Fitz but this show is so addictive.
- Favorite Characters: Olivia Pope, Abby Whelan, Quinn Perkins, Huck, Jake Ballard (#TeamJake)
- Last Episode I Watched: Season 4, Episode 22 (You Can’t Take Command) – I wait till it comes out on Netflix and then binge it season by season. So my opinions are half a season behind.
- Status of Show: Season 5 resumes February 11.
Here’s a few that I’m waiting for the next season:
- Master of None – on Netflix. Aziz Ansari delivers a deep and sometimes hilarious look at modern life.
- Grace and Frankie – on Netflix. A sweet look at friendships and getting old.
- BoJack Horseman – on Netflix. Dark and the funniest show around in my opinion.
- Sense8 – on Netflix. A ridiculous acid trip of a show. Beautiful filming and I’m into it.
- Game of Thrones – on HBO. Next season it’s going past the books, I hope it is okay, I am getting less into it.
- Scrotal Recall – on Netflix. Hilarious and charming (despite the title) British show about relationships.
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt – on Netflix. Females are strong as hell. Also really funny.
- The Fall – on Netflix. Dark, atmospheric thriller.
- Sherlock – on BBC/PBS. SO GOOD yes so good.
What have you been watching lately?